The Power of the Spoken Word was written by Florence Scovel Shinn many years ago. In the book, Ms. Shinn explains how your words create your world, claiming that “Affirmations Work.” She claimed that those who didn’t know the power of their words were living behind the times. She wrote this book in the 1950s and, just like Think and Grow Rich (written in the 1930s) and Self-Help (written in the 1850s), its message still resonates today.
Let’s imagine a fairy tale in which there is a little boy who is very poor. He works hard and nobody is kind to him. One night as he lies in his hard and uncomfortable bed, an angel appears and the angel tells him that his word has power. The angel tells him that when he speaks, his words create whatever he is talking about.
“Whatever you wish for,” says the angel “is yours.” “All you have to do is ask for what you want and all of my fellow angels in the heavens will listen to all your words and give you anything your heart desires.”
What do you think the poor boy would ask for? Maybe he would get confused and change his mind so much that even the angels would become confused. Maybe he would find it difficult to decide what he wanted and could only formulate what he didn’t want.
After a while of back and forth and focusing on what he didn’t want, the little boy may decide that what the angel told him wasn’t true, as his life hadn’t changed from how it was before they’d met. His faith is lost and he carries on being a poor little boy who people are unkind to.
This premise was a cute story in Aladdin, but sadly, this is how many of us are going through life. We spend more time thinking about what we don’t want (I don’t want to be alone) than what we do want (I want to find my soulmate).
You need to know the answer to “What do I want?”
Until you sit down and think about what you want and where you want to go, you cannot have it or go there. You don’t go anywhere unless you decide to go there first. And if you aren’t plotting your own course, you may get dragged into someone else’s plans which may or may not be a good time for you. Either way, chances are it’s not where you want to go.
According to Ms. Schinn (whom I highlighted in a previous blog), you decide where you are going, what you are being or what you are having and then you declare that you already are it, already have it, or are already doing it. WHY? Because the Universe doesn’t give us what we want; it gives us what we declare that we have! It’s no good wanting to be more confident: we have to declare “I am confident!” or “I am becoming more confident every day.”
The trouble with wanting is that wanting something implies that we don’t have it. The thing that we want is out there somewhere and there is a gap between us and it. To close the gap, we declare either that it is ours already or that we are becoming it. While it may not seem right to say “I’m healthy” when it’s obvious to everyone – including you – that you are sick, you can say, “I’m getting better every day.”
Instead of saying “I’m rich.” which in the beginning may be an obvious lie, try “Money is beginning to flow into my life.” When you focus on what you want you feel good. Positive words and affirmations are constructive; they build things up. Negative words and thoughts are destructive; they destroy. They destroy lives, homes, marriages, health, happiness, finances, looks and anything else you can name. It should be clear that the negative person lives at a lower level of consciousness than the positive person.
To change your level of consciousness from negative to positive and to tap into the positive energy of the Universe, you can say affirmations. The more you repeat an affirmation, the more firmly it becomes embedded in your consciousness. It’s actually how all of your beliefs were formed – by constant repetition. Consider the things that you were repeatedly told as a child that remain with you today: “Rich people are evil.” “You’re not smart enough.” “That’s not possible.” If these are the stories playing in your background, then they are leaving their mark on your life today. Do you think rich people are pretentious? Are you a wallflower at work? Do you avoid challenges outside your comfort zone? These beliefs are life shrinking!
Consider the affirmations below and find one or two that resonate with you. Memorize them and say them over and over again. I find that the affirmations that resonate with me and are the most effective are those that give me a vivid picture of the actual event happening. Write your chosen affirmations out on index cards, place them where you will see them throughout the day and say them aloud every time you see them. Another idea is to set alarms to remind yourself to say your affirmations throughout the day.
What I do in the morning is write out my list of “I am” statements each morning, one of which is “I earn at least $1000.00 a day doing work that I love and am passionate about.” In the evening, I take a calendar and each day, I jot down what I would do with the $1000.00 that I earned for that day. Sometimes it is something that I’ve seen that I want like a new treadmill and sometimes it’s as basic as making an extra payment towards my house or car or savings. In any event, this elevates the emotion around my affirmation and allows me to simultaneously visualize it.
Affirmations for Success
- “Me and mine are successful in all our endeavors.”
- “If God is with us, who can be against us”
- “The doors to my success are now wide open and nailed back.”
- “I let go of worn out conditions and worn out things and make all things new.”
- “Endless good now comes in endless ways.”
- “I am amazed at the ingenious ways doors open and I see huge vistas of success.”
- “I am wide awake to good and gathering in the harvest of endless opportunities.”
- “My barns are full; my cup of happiness is overflowing. I am at peace.”
- “My word is my wand and with it I create success in all things.”
- “My greatest expectations now come to fruition.”
- “The door to eternal happiness and success has been flung open and nailed back.”
- “I see me and mine as God sees us: perfect in every way.”
- “If God is health, I am health. If God is success, I am success.”
- “I cast every burden on the Christ within and I go free.”
Affirmations for Wealth
- “My word is my wand and I declare abundance in all good things.”
- “Money comes into our family from all sources expected and unexpected.”
- “Everything I touch turns to gold under grace in a perfect way.”
- “Unexpected doors fly open, unexpected channels are freed, and endless avalanches of abundance are poured out and over me under grace in a perfect way.”
- “I give thanks for my financial success.”
- “The door to abundance is wide open and nailed back.”
- “My good now overtakes me in an unexpected and surprising way.”
- “I consistently thank the Universe for my abundance.”
- “All things I seek are now seeking me.”
- “My good comes to me now under grace in a perfect way.”
Affirmations for Happiness
- “I am now deluged with happiness. My cup of happiness overflows.”
- “Happy surprises come to me every day. I look to each day with wonder.”
- “I am harmonious, happy, radiant and full of joy.”
- “My happiness is built on a rock. It is mine now and for all eternity.”
- “I am at peace as my endless good comes to me.
- “My good now comes to me in an unbroken stream.”
- “The door to happiness is bolted open. Happiness and joy stream through it and over me.”
- “My joy knows no bounds.”
- “I am happy and my family is happy.”
- “Happiness is my birthright and I open my arms wide to accept it now.”
- “Goodness and mercy follow me all the days of my life.”
Affirmations for Love
- “As I am one with the Universe and everyone in it, I am one with my love.”
- “Love is all there is. I release the love that is in every one of my atoms and I glow.”
- “I love everyone and everyone loves me.”
- “I am at peace and in harmony with everyone and everything.”
- “I am at peace with my past and now see it through the eyes of love.”
- “I love me as God loves me.”
- “The perfect love is in my life.”
- “He/she loves me as I love him/her.”
- “I am in the process of positive change.”
- “I am comfortable looking in the mirror, saying, “I love you, I really love you.”
- “It is safe to look within.”
- “I forgive myself and set myself free.”
Affirmations for Health
- “I thank God for me and mines continuing health.”
- “I expect health and receive it.”
- “Every day in every way I become healthier and healthier. “
- “I enjoy the foods that are best for my body. I love every cell of my body.”
- “I look forward to a healthy old age because I take loving care of my body now.”
- “I am constantly discovering new ways to improve my health.”
- “I return my body to optimal health by giving it what it needs on every level.”
- “I am pain free and totally in sync with life.”
- “Healing happens! I get my mind out of the way and allow the intelligence of my body to do its healing work naturally.”
- “My body is always doing its best to create perfect health.”
- “I balance my life between work, rest, and play. They all get equal time.”
- “I am grateful to be alive today. It is my joy and pleasure to live another wonderful day.”
Again, take one or several of the above affirmations and memorize them. Better yet…create your own that speak directly to you and take any opportunity to repeat them. Think you don’t have time to recite affirmations? Consider these opportunities:
- When you’re in the bathroom
- In bed – either before you go to sleep, when you wake up, or during the night if you find yourself awake
- On the way to work
- During lunch or tea breaks
- In the bath
- In the shower
- While cooking dinner
- While walking the dog
- While ironing clothes
- While cleaning
- While washing the car
- While standing in line at the grocery store
There are so many times in each day that you can repeat your affirmations.
Remember, your word is your wand. Every single time that you say your affirmations you raise your vibration and send out an attractive force into the Universe. The Universe hears your request and gets busy delivering it. That is how your words shape your world.